Position Title: Adolescent Health Adviser, YouLEAD.
Job Station: Lagos State.
Adolescent Health Adviser, YouLEAD job opportunity is available at Save the Children Nigeria for individuals who possess Masters-level degree in Public Health, International Development, Social Science, or related field.
- Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :-
- Save the Children seeks an Adolescent Health Adviser for an anticipated, five-year USAID-funded project that will increase voluntary uptake and continued use of family planning (FP) services among poor, unmarried adolescents aged 15-19 in selected urban areas of Nigeria.
- The project will use a holistic, multi-sectoral approach that moves beyond traditional, facility-based service delivery, is rooted in youth engagement, and takes into account the unique susceptibilities vulnerable urban adolescents face, such as familial and interpersonal violence, poverty, substance abuse, limited educational and economic opportunities.
- The Adolescent Health Advisor will play a pivotal role in the design and implementation of the project’s adolescent health strategy, activities, and approaches. Nigerian candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Key Areas of Accountability
- In close collaboration with the Project Director, contributes to the design of the project’s adolescent strategy, activities, and approaches, ensuring they are evidence-based, technically sound and aligned with global best practices;
- Leads day-to-day implementation of the project’s technical strategy, working closely with project partners and relevant counterparts and ensuring activities and approaches are implemented in accordance with the project’s work plan;
- Develops functional working relationships with in-country stakeholders, such as with counterparts in relevant Nigerian ministries, departments, and agencies; public, private and informal service delivery providers; or other relevant donor-funded projects;
- Develops the technical capacity of local organizations and project counterparts in areas necessary to design and deliver technically sound adolescent health programming that is aligned with global best practices;
- Contributes to monitoring, evaluation, and learning efforts, supporting documentation and dissemination of project successes, lessons learned, and results, and ensuring that learnings are used to refine activities for maximum impact;
- Represents Save the Children at relevant external events, such as on local and regional technical working groups;
- Contributes to the development of work plans and budgets, quarterly and annual reports, knowledge products, and other deliverables as needed.
Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION :-
- Masters-level degree in Public Health, International Development, Social Science, or related field;
- A minimum of seven years of experience implementing adolescent health and family programs designed to increase access, quality, and use of services, with a minimum of three years of experience in a leadership or management role;
- Familiarity with evidence-based adolescent health and FP interventions and best practices, and a thorough understanding of the needs, barriers, and opportunities to increase voluntary FP use among vulnerable adolescent girls living in urban areas of Nigeria;
- Demonstrated knowledge of formative research, social network analysis, and/or human-centred design approaches;
- Familiarity with USAID administrative, management, and reporting procedures and systems;
- Strong interpersonal skills and creative problem-solving skills;
- Flexible, innovative, creative, adaptable, and open to new ideas, comfortable with change and uncertainty;
- Prior experience in Nigeria and familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context;
- Professional fluency in English with strong oral and written communication skills; professional fluency in at least one local language a benefit.
Apply Before :-
1st January, 2020.
Do you meet the criteria listed above? Apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
WHO IS Save the Children Nigeria?
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.View More Jobs at Save the Children Nigeria
PLEASE help others by Sharing This Job Opportunity on: