Position Title: Laboratory Assistant.
Job Station: Borno State.
Laboratory Assistant job opportunity is available at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) for individuals who possess relevant qualifications.
- Under the direct supervision of Health supervisor, the laboratory Assistant Perform clinical laboratory activities according to PUI protocols, security and hygiene measures in order to obtain results to determine the patient’s treatment, in collaboration with other team members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:-
- Assist to collect and prepare blood and other specimens for rapid diagnostic test
- Conduct laboratory tests that may be required of him/her
- Respect IPC protocols in line of duty
- Respects patients rights, privacy and ensure all beneficiaries are fairly treated
- Prepare and organize efficiently the laboratory material/equipment available
- Ensure proper sample waste disposal according to protocols and highest safety standards
- Dispose of waste management according to waste management procedures
- Clean and sterilize the medical material
- Check expiry dates of lab materials
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey, etc…according to the needs
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state
Data Collection & Reporting:
- Report to Health supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device
- Ensuring proper reporting and registration of the sample results in order to keep a written track of activity
- Ensure the confidentiality of the results
- Submit lab order to health supervisor on a requested basis
- Ensure a sufficient supply of laboratory reagents and materials and to maintain a stock control register
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs
Internal and External Representation:
- Participate in any in-house training organised by the department.
- Participate actively in meetings when required
N.B: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Good organisation of the working place, respect and proffectionalism
- Ensure qualitative work in collaboration with each department
- Provide frequent feedbacks to the team – illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION:-
- Language skills: Fluentin English, and Hausa and Kanuri is an asset
- Education Degree: Essential Laboratory Technician Diploma / Degree
- Work experience: Minimum 1 year experience at the same position – work in a hospital setting
- Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Experience with sample-taking (blood, urine, stool, sputum)
- Knowledge of laboratory testing quality-control methods
- Familiarity with tropical and/or infectious diseases
- Knowledge about hygiene standard procedures
- Experience using laboratory software packages and carrying out surveys
- Good knowledge of Public Health and of epidemiology
- Working in humanitarian relief
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Be available for any emergency
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Behavioral flexibility
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
7th October, 2021.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only (Male/Female)
WHO IS Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)?
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC). The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door-to-door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Cross Kauwa, Kukawa LGA. The severity of the needs and the reduction of the humanitarian access make PUI positioning in Health and Nutrition crucial, especially in Monguno where PUI has taken over some core activities from ALIMA at the beginning of 2021, after they closed their program there.
At the end of 2020, PUI launched an exploratory mission, along with INGO colleagues in Zamfara State (North West), and has developed a strategy for its upcoming intervention in the area.View More Jobs at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
PLEASE help others by Sharing This Job Opportunity on: