Position Title: Legal Counsel.
Job Station: Kaduna State.
Legal Counsel job opportunity is available at Lumos Nigeria for individuals who possess 1st Degree in Law.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :-
- Role holder will be responsible for ensuring overall company operation complies and adhere to national & international laws, rules & regulations of regulatory agencies, legal & ethical standards, internal business code of conduct & practices, professional standards and company policies & procedures
- Will work in close association with the External Counsel to provide guidance on corporate governance and regulatory compliance while ensuring the highest quality of legal advice is provided in the most efficient manner.
- Legal Counsel will provide accurate and timely counsel to executives on a variety of legal topics
- Role holder must be objective minded in review and evaluation of compliance within the company
- S/He will work to ensure that behaviors within the organization meet defined standards and guidelines
- Responsible for developing and implementing an effective legal compliance system.
- Responsible for proactively evaluating business activities to assess legal & compliance risks, identify potential areas of vulnerability & risks, develop corrective action plans for resolution and risk mitigation strategies to protect Lumos Nigeria, its assets and stakeholders against potential lawsuits
- Lead in developing systems for handling crisis or compliance violation and implements plans or modes of responding to alleged violations of policies, procedures, codes of conduct, rules and regulations
- Drives periodic audits on processes & practices to identify improvement areas and provide guidance on how to avoid repeat of similar instances in the future
- Advise on creating sound internal controls and monitor adherence to them
- Recovery of monies from defaulting customers directly or via recovery agency
- Develop and implement an effective legal compliance program to ensure fulfilment of company’s full compliance with statutory and regulatory obligations within specified timelines
- Maintain a database of all compliance matters, to ensure prompt and full compliance
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure compliance to applicable statutory laws & regulatory requirements
- Provide quarterly reports to keep the CEO informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts
- Effective management of internal clients and build internal confidence through speed of delivery, approachability, effectiveness at closing and ability to manage expectations
- Provide timely and accurate counsel on legal areas as required
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents with employees, contractors, consultants, vendors and customers to ensure the company’s full legal rights
- Design simple self-help checklists, tools and processes for business to improve efficiencies e.g. standard checklist for engagement of third-party providers and agreement templates
- Manage ongoing relationship with external partners, company lawyers, legal advisers, company secretary, external counsel etc. and manage terms of agreement
- Review, revise and initiate relevant company policies and procedures with functions/departments
- Organize training and seminars for departments on relevant regulation and industry practices
- Keep abreast of trends/ development taking place in relevant markets and sectors that may affect the company.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION :-
- 1st Degree in Law
- Membership of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA)
- Professional certification in legal, audit or compliance area (e.g. Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP)) will be an added advantage
- LLM will be an added advantage
- Minimum 5 years proven experience in a legal and compliance role
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role (minimum at supervisory / coordination level)
- Experience in risk management, is a must
- Good knowledge of corporate practice
- Experience in drafting contracts and commercial agreement
- Familiarity with industry practices and professional standards
- Practical Project Management experience
Other requirements (Behavioral etc.):
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High quotient of integrity and professional ethics
- Sharp business acumen and analytical minded
- Conflict management and team building skills
- Good service orientation and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Influencing abilities
- Open and assertive nature
- Intercultural skills
- Proficiency in the use of office applications.
Apply Before :-
31st January, 2020.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with a Cover Note to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the mail.
WHO IS Lumos Nigeria?
Lumos offers clean and affordable solar power to a market of 1.3 billion potential customers who live off the electricity grid.Lumos enables people to replace hazardous and expensive kerosene generators and lanterns with modern solar electricity that can power lights, cellphones, fans, computers, TVs and other small electronic devices (all at once, every day). By offering Solar Power as a Service, Lumos offers homes and small businesses a simple and affordable way to pay for electricity in small instalments using their mobile phonesView More Jobs at Lumos Nigeria
PLEASE help others by Sharing This Job Opportunity on: