Position Title: Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support (MHPSS) Deputy Program Manager.
Job Station: Borno State.
Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support (MHPSS) Deputy Program Manager job opportunity is available at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) for individuals who possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychiatry or Psychology.
Background / Overview
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Kroskawa LGA.
- PUI is now looking for 1 MHPSS Deputy Program Manager for its Psycho-social Support Team in Monguno.
- Under the technical supervision of the MHPSS PM, and daily supervision of the Health PM, the Deputy MHPSS PM will support all MHPSS activities of the Monguno team
- Besides this, he/she will manage data records of activities, and work on capacity building of MHPSS staff
- S/he will take part in working group meetings, coordination meetings, and provide professional translation/interpretation of MHPSS documents, checklists and in training translation when needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :-
Support and advise on MHPSS activities:
- Effectively manage daily program, including input on planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting
- Manage Psycho-social workers and ensure the quality of PSS services delivered
- Manage PSS activities to ensure smooth running
- With the support of the health PM, conduct routine project needs assessments and program reviews to ensure successful implementation
- In consultation with the project managers, elaborate the necessary logistic planning and arrangements for the execution of the planned activities
- Follow up the performance indicators defined, report on progress to his/her immediate supervisor (MHPSS advisor/ technical coordinator) indicate difficulties encountered in project implementation, and propose improvements on an as-needs basis
Team Management and Capacity Building:
- Ensure his/her team is aware and following PUI internal Rules of Procedures
- Support Monguno PSS team in resolving the implementation challenges faced in the field
- Ensure that agreed activities and procedures are regularly and timely performed by PSS teams
- Follow up and organize capacity building and training plan
- Plan, organize and follow up the weekly/ monthly action plan, after being endorsed by the MHPSS Advisor
- Conduct regular field and monitoring visits to health facilities to follow up activities and monitor performance of psycho-social workers (PSW)
- Participate to the recruitment of the PSS team
- Conduct the performance appraisal of the PSS team
- Under the supervision of the MHPSS advisor (TA)/ technical coordinator (TC), conduct regular training needs assessment and implement a training plan based on findings and project objectives
- Provide basic technical MHPSS training and refreshers training for PSW and ensure training needs are met and performance is evaluated
- Discuss follow up of cases, and case management with PSWs
- Attend all MHPSS related trainings and disseminate the learning to the team
Monitoring and Reporting:
- In close coordination with the MHPSS team and M&E, enter weekly data about MHPSS activities in the database
- Follow up weekly data entry by the PSW, and compile the monthly report
- Validate the database before sharing it to the TA/TC
- With the support of the MHPSS TA/TC, follow the progress, challenges and achievements towards project targets and indicators in PSS activities and inform line manager of any serious challenge in this regards
- Monitor the implementation of PSS activities on field level and report accordingly
- Follow up referred cases with partner organizations or MoH
Internal and External Representation:
- When delegated by MHPSS TA/TC, facilitate to build a sound, good and close relation with parties involved in the implementation of MHPSS activities at local level: clusters, NGOs, communities
- Work with partner agencies in the provision and referral of services
- Organize and lead the weekly MHPSS supervision/ on job training meeting
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Build the capacity of the program teams on mhpss components
- Ensure integration of mhpss with other programs in the mission
- Ensure and build partnership with other mhpss actors.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION :-
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri (intermediate) is an asset
- Education Degree: Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychiatry or Psychology
- Work experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience in management of MHPSS activities. Work experience with International Organizations and/or NGO in the field of MHPSS
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of IASC MHPSS guidelines
- Good knowledge of integration of mental health and psycho-social support services in primary health care settings
- Extensive knowledge of local MHPSS services and other health services
- Ability to train, mentor, supervise and build capacity of psycho-social workers.
- Computer skills: Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Accurate analytical skills
- Good reporting skills.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
- Team management.
Apply Before :-
11:30pm. 13th April, 2020.
Do you meet the criteria listed above? Apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
Note: Female applicants that fulfill the mandatory requirements for the position are strongly encouraged to apply.
WHO IS Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)?
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.View More Jobs at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
PLEASE help others by Sharing This Job Opportunity on: