Position Title: Programme Associate.
Job Station: Borno State.
Programme Associate job opportunity is available at Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) for individuals who possess University degree in Agriculture, Livestock, Animal Husbandry, Animal Health preferably with inclusion of Fisheries and Disaster Management disciplines.
- The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. Massive population displacements and insecurity in the Lake Chad basin have put livelihoods and food security at high risk.
- The findings of the October 2018 Cadre Harmonisé analysis highlighted that between June and August 2019, 2.73 million in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States may struggle with high levels of food insecurity (Phase 3 and above on the Cadre Harmonisé scale).
- The conflict has uprooted over 2.0 million people from their homes. Of the total number of the displaced population, 81% IDPs are in Borno State, 11% in Adamawa and 8% in Yobe State (IOM DTM Round XXV of October 2018). However, in some areas, the situation is becoming more stable and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) are back home or close to their home. The conditions for recovery, resettlement and reconstruction are met and many donors are supporting FAO, to restore and promote sustainable agriculture-based livelihoods for food security and nutrition improvement in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States.
- The Programme Associate report to the FAO Representative in Nigeria, under the direct supervision of the Head of Office of Maiduguri in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and in cooperation with NE programme teams.
- Delivery and support FAO Nigeria Sub office with ICT / IS services, equipment, products, systems, network and telecommunication infrastructure (including Video Conference facilities).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :-
- Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Nigeria, the direct supervision of the Head of Office of Maiduguri in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and in cooperation with NE programme teams, the incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities.
- Assist the Head of Office, the Emergency Programme Coordinator and the Operations in the monitoring of projects
- Prepare detail status of the level of implementation of projects in close collaboration of the Operations
- Contribute to food security situation analysis, development and management of database on agriculture related operations including participation in livelihood and food security assessment missions.
- Assist in the preparation of Letters of Agreement (LoA), and UN to UN agreements of all approved partners, submit to Emergency Programme Coordinator for review before submission to the Responsible Officer for final approval.
- Provide assistance in the identification and selection of potential Service Providers; participate in undertaking Due Diligence process for new SPs according to FAO guidelines to ensure best practices in targeting, monitoring and reporting in the implementation of FAO interventions.
- Provide link between FAO programme on one hand, Service Providers and other partners (INGOs and NNGOs) on the other hand and in close collaboration with the FAO NE Programme Head, Reporting and Partnership Officer, M&E Officer, operations unit and programme teams on livelihood, food and nutrition security issues.
- Contribute to preparation of projects concept notes and proposals and support in work planning and implementation monitoring.
- Assist in liaison with counterpart institutions (Ministries and ADP) in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states to ensure effective collaboration in implementation of activities and oversight monitoring.
- Facilitate the liaison between the government entities and others partners
- Ensure SPs comply with FAO’s standards in the implementation of activities and conduct performance evaluation of SPs on annual basis or as may be required.
- Assist in maintaining partners’ databases and tracking of LoAs in terms of disbursement of payments, submission of reports and LOA closures.
- Act as the focal person for the Food Security Sector and undertake the following:
- In consultation with Emergency Programme Coordinator, M&E Officer and project focal persons, compile FAO inputs into the FSS 5Ws monthly.
- Responsible for compiling FAO inputs into other sector matrix as required including GBV/PSEA, SAFE, etc.
- Compile and submit FAO inputs into the monthly FS situation report in collaboration with the relevant project focal persons and security officer.
- Participate in FS sector meetings and prepare briefs to FAO Head of Office on issues discussed at FS meetings directly related to FAO programme and mandate.
- Perform any other related duties, required..
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION :-
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Nationals of Nigeria.
- University degree in Agriculture, Livestock, Animal Husbandry, Animal Health preferably with inclusion of Fisheries and Disaster Management disciplines;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in humanitarian and agricultural/rural development sectors including work experience with national and international NGO’s, UN agencies, governments and donors.
- Working knowledge of English. Knowledge of the local major languages (e.g. Kanuri, Hausa) spoken in the northeast states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe would be a valuable asset.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- University degree in agriculture field, economics or rural development.
- At least Two to three years of working experience in a related field
- Ability to use computer and data processing facilities including software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Capacity to comprehend and carry out tasks with less direct supervision.
- Ability to work and deliver outputs on schedule.
- Ability to have good working relationship with other UN agencies, Government officials, donors and other development partners.
- Ability to conform to good conduct and discipline expected of a United Nations Staff
- Strong willingness to undertake deep field missions
Apply Before :-
17th April, 2020; 10:59:00 PM
Additional Information and Important Notice
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
WHO IS Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN)?
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.View More Jobs at Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN)
PLEASE help others by Sharing This Job Opportunity on: